Re: [EXT]Re: [CMRA] 10m Net testing, tonight, Sept 19, 2018, 9:30-10:00pm CST, Report from W0TES.

Jon Cole

Jim and All,

I listened on 10m but didn’t hear a peep at my place. I’m guessing my antenna is just too low relative to the local terrain.

Jon Cole, N0OFJ

On Sep 21, 2018, at 4:49 PM, James Whitehill <whitehill@...> wrote:

The 10 meter test was cooked up over last Wednesday's (9/19) Hyvee lunch meeting and announced by me on the CMRA net at 9:00 p.m., in terms of time and frequency, as well as the purpose.  The time of the test was right after the CMRA net closed and the frequency was 28.325 mHz, so CW and SSB could be tested, mainly in terms of the range of reception from my QTH just west of Pierpont.  I started transmission in cw with the mss. in Morse of "V V V de N0SSM" sent twice and ending with "AR K".  No one replied with cw that I could hear, so I switched to SSB.  In order of signal strength: W0TES was the big signal, then W0ZH, and finally KC0EZE.  I heard no one else.  But WD6BGN reported hearing my cw, and his QTH in Clark is approx. 28 mi. to the north.  I was transmitting with 100w. into a good vertical on my hill.

The purpose was to find out how and if 10 meters could serve during darkness as a place for a local cw practice net, especially for cw learners and slow fists.  The first question was the range of reception, in terms of direction and strength.  The evidence after this "test" is indefinite.  Clearly, my SSB signal reached out only 2.8 miles, to Ernest in south Columbia.  My impression is that those who participated scrambled to get their antennas up and working for 10 meters!

I would like to run a further test in the near future, with a proper, pre-published plan, to encourage more folks to listen in on 10 meters and report the possible range using ground wave.

 My guess is that 10 meters can reach out much further than line of site with its ground wave alone.  That would allow it to be a backup to 2 meters if the 2 meter repeater went down for whatever reason.

But my primary goal is to get a cw net going locally to help hams interested in learning, improving,  or showing off their cw skills.  Technician licensees can usually get on 28 mHZ, because antennas are small, if they have a HF rig.  The other option, possibly,  for a local cw practice net may be using the 2 meter repeater, and sending cw tones via FM.

Thanks to Tim, Myron, Ernest and Ralph for listening, responding,  and reporting last Wednesday!

Jim, N0SSM

From: Henry Taylor <hank008@...>
Date: 9/20/18 7:12 AM (GMT-06:00)

Tim,

I must have missed a stitch somewhere.  Tell me more about testing on 10
meter, please.

Hank