Re: This was really great thanks

Henry Taylor <hank008@...>

I have looked into the law in the past, when I bought my fist Baofeng  from overseas.  Unless the law has since changed:  it is (was, anyway) quite legal to own and operate (including transmit).  It was legal to acquire one, used or new from overseas.  You're on your own to avoid the illegal frequencies.

It was and is illegal for a USA-based dealer to sell one, however.  Baofeng responded by putting in the required transmit restrictions for sale to American dealers, who could then of course sell them.  They continued to sell the unmodified version to any individual, by international mail.

In fact, any domestic radio (like  Kenwoods) are easily modified for that.  Mine all are so modified because I participate in both MARS and SHARES, both of which use non-FCC frequencies.  The Civil Air Patrol also does this, and there are many websites that tell you how to do the "MARS/CAP" mod as they call it.

In summary, there are good and compelling reasons for "out of frequency" radios owned by amateur operators.  The FCC restrictions help keep inexperienced operators out of trouble, but the myth of "illegality" is just that; a myth.

Hope this helps.  Not intended to annoy or contradict anybody, just trying to supply some relevant facts.  If my info is outdated, somebody please supply corrections and bring me up to date.

Hank KD0BVQ NCS583 AAR7OB

泰 勒
大胡子

On Mar 24, 2020, at 11:58 AM, Gary Vaught - W9TIG <gdv.pops@...> wrote:

Wow, Chris.  You just like poking the bear, don't you?

My understanding is that SOME of the Baofeng models do not PREVENT you from transmitting in certain, prohibited frequencies.  In other words, they will allow you to transmit on frequencies where it is illegal for amateur license operators to transmit.  I've read a few articles, and a lot of opinions, which say that this makes the radio illegal.  I'm not a lawyer and I've not seen a conclusive ruling from the FCC, but I do believe there is a difference between the radio being illegal and the radio allowing an uninformed or malicious operator to perform an illegal act.

Again, my 2 Lincolns

We can engineer a solution to nearly any problem you can accurately define.

- somewhat anonymous

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 11:51 AM Chris Swisher <Komu8ce@...> wrote:
Mike,
Could you show me where the Baofeng is illegal?

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 11:39 AM Mike Morgan <cavecritter@...> wrote:
I recommend the Wouxun. The Beofeng is illegal. You might invest in the longest antenna you can find. 73', km0mvr.