Re: This was really great thanks

Chris Swisher

For any operations other than Part 97 (Amateur), that is correct. Some Wouxouns are Part 90 Type accepted, but none are Part 95 (GMRS) or Part 97 type accepted that I am aware of. I would be very careful on possessing any radio that transmits on emergency response agencies frequencies, but that is my opinion. Again, the radio itself is not illegal, but operation on unlicensed frequencies with non-type accepted transmitters is illegal.

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 1:15 PM Boback <RNAckerman@...> wrote:
It is my understand that if it does not have a FCC number displayed, it is illegal.

On 3/24/2020 11:51 AM, Chris Swisher wrote:
Mike,
Could you show me where the Baofeng is illegal?

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 11:39 AM Mike Morgan <cavecritter@...> wrote:
I recommend the Wouxun. The Beofeng is illegal. You might invest in the longest antenna you can find. 73', km0mvr.

From: "Gary Vaught - W9TIG" <gdv.pops@...>
To: main@cmra.groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, March 24, 2020 7:21:01 AM
Subject: Re: [CMRA] This was really great thanks

I'd suggest asking around the guys in the club/group.  A lot of the guys who have been doing this for a couple of years (or decades) have HTs and mobiles that they might let go for under a couple hundred dollars.  I got my first HT from a club member, and added an aftermarket antenna - it served me well for a couple of years as long as I stayed within transmit range of the repeater.
The $35 Baofeng looks appealing, but you really need to know what you're doing there or it can encourage some undesirable habits.

But that's all just my opinion.  Welcome to amateur radio!!!

We can engineer a solution to nearly any problem you can accurately define.

- somewhat anonymous

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 7:16 AM James Wiles <wilesjw@...> wrote:
Being newly Hammed, and looking for a dual band radio,this Baofeng is appealing because I they’re cheap. But I guess you get what you pay for.  I want to make the right choice and not buy junk.  I don’t understand harmonics, but this article explains some of it, and now I’m think or looking at this Wouxun KG-UV9D, please if you have suggestions and where to buy, it would be most appreciated. I don’t have a call sign yet but I go by JW and my email address is wilesjw@...

Thanks