Re: Asymptomatic transmission data

Gary Vaught - W9TIG

No offense taken.  I simply misunderstood your use of the gloves.  I have just seen too many reports of folks who are taking ancillary measures rather than the primary recommendations which have been coming out from the CDC for weeks.

Yes, wear the gloves, and the masks, when out in public.  But think about what is happening.  And as you move from location to location, change out the gloves.  This is what health care workers have done for years, moving from patient to patient.  I have had people give me dirty looks and gestures because I pull my mask down while driving in my vehicle, even though I make sure it's covering my mouth and nose when I exit my vehicle.

We can engineer a solution to nearly any problem you can accurately define.

- somewhat anonymous

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 12:50 PM Henry Taylor <hank008@...> wrote:
So change gloves.  Washing hands is good of course but too much washing, especially with harsh soaps, is well known to cause cracking and fissures in the hand skin, providing sanctuaries for the organism, increasing the likelihood of transmission.  This is not theoretical, it is based on actual reported experience.

Furthermore, although transmission can be as you describe, it is much lower risk than fomites (the invisible droplets of saliva that are the inevitable result of merely speaking).  It is mainly a respiratory disease and the wearing of a mask has a much larger hope of reducing transmission. Even a western-style bandana will work for most fomites.

Please be advised that I applaud your concerns and hand washing advise (in moderation).  I hope I have not offended.  My hope in this email is to provide accurate information leading to effective measures, and also possibly reduce the fear factors that make this pandemic even worse than it would be if we had sufficient data.

We do not.  Extensive testing for both antibodies and antigen (the virus) continue o be woefully inadequate.

Stay well.  And keep calm if possible.

Hank

泰 勒
大胡子

On Apr 17, 2020, at 11:17 AM, Gary Vaught - W9TIG <gdv.pops@...> wrote:

Gloves should be to prevent cross contamination.  If you wear your gloves to pump gas and touch an infected gas pump nozzle, then wear those same gloves to WalMart, you've just become a transmission vector and spread the disease to anyone who touches the WalMart door handle, shopping cart, whatever you touch with that gloved hand.  And this shows why it is so important to wash our hands and not touch our faces instead of relying on other forms of protection.

We can engineer a solution to nearly any problem you can accurately define.

- somewhat anonymous

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 11:01 AM dooda day <wittend@...> wrote:
Fred,

I believe that that number is similar to  what they have seen in Iceland, where they have a relatively high level of testing in the country's small population.
This is why I wear a mask on the very rare occasions when I go out.  What if I have it and don't know?

The gloves are for my protection.  The mask is because I don't want to take the chance that I might silently and unknowingly spread  virus to others.

Dave

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 10:34 AM Fred Dittrich <fdittric@...> wrote:
Hi

See: https://news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-clue-most-cases-aboard-152447944.html

Important point: while over 600 sailors on the Roosevelt tested positive, roughly 60 percent of those testing positive did NOT show any symptoms. This is why wearing a mask protects others.