Re: DMR HTs

Ralph Howard

In WW2 portable radios were huge.  Back packs even.  They were called Walkie Talkies because you could sort of walk with one.  Later came the lunchbox size so you could still ealk snd talk.  Handi talkies because you could hold one in your hand.  My first was a Motorola HT 200.  About size and wright of a brick.
Cheers.

From: main@CMRA.groups.io <main@CMRA.groups.io> on behalf of Jon Cole via groups.io <colepls@...>
Sent: Wednesday, May 13, 2020 10:52:27 AM
To: main@cmra.groups.io <main@cmra.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CMRA] DMR HTs

That is not a stupid question. It refers to some history of radio. HT is short for “handy talkie”.  If memory serves me, it was part of a sales pitch for handheld radios when they first became practical and the name stuck. Some of the others may know more details.

Jon Cole, N0OFJ

On May 13, 2020, at 10:06 AM, silveyd@... wrote:

HT = a handheld transmitter? (Sorry if that is a really stupid question)