Re: Motion to Sell the Trailer

James Whitehill

I vote to sell the trailer, given the problems and burdens with storage, insurance, and repair, as well as locating and transporting it.  We use it once or twice a year, for Field Day and sometimes as a base for a small portable operation.  It seems unlikely we would use it as a critical base for emergency ops, given there are alternatives (a house, an institution, even canopy/tents/park shelters, and perhaps a communications van or bus owned by a hospital).  

For alternatives, off the top of my head, I think Field Day could be in a park shelter or a canopy/tent/vehicle gathering ... the same for portable operation practices.  

One relevant enhancement the club could invest in is an antenna trailer.  I am thinking of a simple flatbed trailer, with telescoping antenna masts on board plus a sectional l (5-7 ft. sections) light weight tower 25-30 ft. high with mast, perhaps some outriggers for stabilization, a toolbox, etc.  The trailer would be narrow ( 6 1/2 ft.), but long enough to hold 7ft. or 5 ft. tower sections (cf. DXE Engineering) , and the trailer would have a welded in tipping base for the bottom tower section.   An antenna trailer no longer than 8 ft. could be easily stored and require little maintenance.  It would be light enough to be hauled by almost any vehicle with a trailer hitch, depending on total weight.

We might also invest in a couple of canopies and folding tables.  The one thing we might miss is air-conditioning on Field Day.

Jim, N0SSM

On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 8:52 AM Gary Vaught - W9TIG <gdv.pops@...> wrote:
I'm in agreement with Ernest.  The trailer is an asset to the club but is highly under-utilized and housing/maintenance is a challenge for the club.

-
Best Regards,
Gary D Vaught

We can engineer a solution to nearly any problem you can accurately define.

- somewhat anonymous

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 7:13 PM Mike Morgan <cavecritter@...> wrote:
If you sell the trailer, I believe the group that invested the most money should receive their percentage back on the investment. It is my understanding that each group has their own treasury. 
Regards Mike Morgan. km0mvr.

To: "main" <main@cmra.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, July 7, 2020 5:14:57 PM
Subject: Re: [CMRA] Motion to Sell the Trailer

My opinion is that the trailer is a great asset for the club to have.  Having said that, we have been unable to come up with a suitable permanent home for it, and I do not have any resources that I use can assist in that matter at this time.  It basically needs a custodian, that has a safe place to park it and is willing to keep an eye on it to make sure that it is not leaking and such and willing to make sure that it remains serviceable.  If we do not have a person in the club that is able to fulfill that role, then my vote is to sell the trailer.
KC0EZE

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 5:05 PM AD0UK <kc0sjs@...> wrote:
Members,

I wanted to take one last moment to give you the opportunity to speak up if you believe the club should not sell the trailer.  We will be moving forward with the motion on Tuesday, July 14, 2020 on the regularly scheduled Club meeting - currently being held by radio on the KØSI repeater (146.760)  - if you are a member in current good standing with the club, you can and should voice your objections to this motion.   The motion was made at last months meeting to sell the club trailer, there have been opinions presented that have brought up the point that we have the trailer, but do not use it, and the maintenance costs are starting to more of a hassle than benefit for the club.  Please be advised you can respond to this email, and preferably participate in next weeks meeting on the repeater.  We will take into consideration any objections - to selling the trailer - if you believe we should sell it then comments are not needed - this is specifically for any objections to selling.

Brian
ADØUK
President, CMRA

--
W9TIG

Gary Vaught

Join main@CMRA.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.