Re: Motion to Sell the Trailer

James Whitehill

I vote to sell the trailer, given the problems and burdens with storage, insurance, and repair, as well as locating and transporting it.  We use it once or twice a year, for Field Day and sometimes as a base for a small portable operation.  It seems unlikely we would use it as a critical base for emergency ops, given there are alternatives (a house, an institution, even canopy/tents/park shelters, and perhaps a communications van or bus owned by a hospital).

For alternatives, off the top of my head, I think Field Day could be in a park shelter or a canopy/tent/vehicle gathering ... the same for portable operation practices.

One relevant enhancement the club could invest in is an antenna trailer.  I am thinking of a simple flatbed trailer, with telescoping antenna masts on board plus a sectional l (5-7 ft. sections) light weight tower 25-30 ft. high with mast, perhaps some outriggers for stabilization, a toolbox, etc.  The trailer would be narrow ( 6 1/2 ft.), but long enough to hold 7ft. or 5 ft. tower sections (cf. DXE Engineering) , and the trailer would have a welded in tipping base for the bottom tower section.   An antenna trailer no longer than 8 ft. could be easily stored and require little maintenance.  It would be light enough to be hauled by almost any vehicle with a trailer hitch, depending on total weight.

We might also invest in a couple of canopies and folding tables.  The one thing we might miss is air-conditioning on Field Day.

Jim, N0SSM

On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 8:52 AM Gary Vaught - W9TIG <gdv.pops@...> wrote:
I'm in agreement with Ernest.  The trailer is an asset to the club but is highly under-utilized and housing/maintenance is a challenge for the club.

We can engineer a solution to nearly any problem you can accurately define.

- somewhat anonymous

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 7:13 PM Mike Morgan <cavecritter@...> wrote:
If you sell the trailer, I believe the group that invested the most money should receive their percentage back on the investment. It is my understanding that each group has their own treasury.
Regards Mike Morgan. km0mvr.