Re: FCC fees for Amateur radio services

AD0UK

Better upgrade as far as you can go, as soon as you can if you are going to - looks like the upgrades will cost you as well.  Get to Extra and only pay it once, before its too late!!!  That's my 2 cents.

Brian
ADØUK

On Sat, Aug 29, 2020 at 8:56 PM Jon Cole via groups.io <colepls=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
The FCC fees have varied widely over the last few decades. I was frankly surprised when they were reduced to zero and I assumed it was only a matter of time before they raised it again. I think that less is better, but even if they charge $100, it would only be $10 a year. Annoying but not bad. I was more concerned with the cost of an official copy of your license. 

Jon Cole, N0OFJ 

On Aug 29, 2020, at 7:22 PM, Ralph Howard <wd6bgn@...> wrote:

I hold every individule radio liscense avaiable from the FCC.  The comerical liscenes now never expire.  But I had to pay for them.  Perhaps the FCC is going to do the same for Amature Radio.  Ie a lifetime license.
We used to pay a fee for ham and CB liscense.

So we have been lucky for the past few years.  Times change.

Ralph Howard
WD6BGN

From: main@CMRA.groups.io <main@CMRA.groups.io> on behalf of Tim Spurgeon <tims173@...>
Sent: Saturday, August 29, 2020 7:12:44 PM
To: main <main@CMRA.groups.io>
Cc: main <main@cmra.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CMRA] FCC fees for Amateur radio services

FCC, are you kidding me?

You know, it is not the so much the money as it is the lack of respect the HAM community gets for its hard work:

We spend our time and money to pass examination for Tech., General, and Extra,
We spend our money and time to purchase our radios, antennas, power supplies, go kits,
We spend our money and time to be prepared for times of emergency,
We spend our time and money to participate in CMRA and BCARES club activities,
We spend our time and money to join and participate with Boone County Emergency organizations,
We spend our time and money to join and participate with S.E.M.A.
We spend our time and money to join and participate with F.E.M.A.
We spend our time and money to pass S.E.M.A. and F.E.M.A. training classes and tests,
     (as many of these courses I have taken, reimbursement has been offered to police, firefighters, and first responders in the class
      for travel, lodging, and food; I have paid my own way for the same.)
We spend out time and money to practice our skills in radio sport through S.E.T.s and Field Days,
We spend out time and money to learn radio theory of computer aided radio, Software Defined Radio, and Morse Code,
We spend our time and money to Elmer new HAMs and some of us through serving as V.E.,
We spend our time away from wives, husbands, and kids.

If the Federal government wants to regulate and control the radio waves in its jurisdiction, the least it can do is not stand in our way
and make it harder on us and make it more expensive to be ready for public service.  They should be ashamed of this proposal!

Keep this up, FCC, and I will take my toys and go home!

Sincerely,

Tim E. Spurgeon
"Expecting the best; prepared for the worst."

----- Original Message -----
To: "main" <main@cmra.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, August 29, 2020 10:34:53 AM
Subject: Re: [CMRA] FCC fees for Amateur radio services

I don't favor reinstituting fees as defined.  We're doing our best to lower the cost of entry.  Our numbers are shrinking as it is. This just adds more "friction".

Get BlueMail for Android<http://www.bluemail.me/r?b=15997>
On Aug 29, 2020, at 8:09 AM, Gary Vaught - W9TIG <gdv.pops@...<mailto:gdv.pops@...>> wrote:
While I dislike the potential for this to discourage some from becoming new operators, I think that this is a responsible move - IF it's truly a cost-based fee.

-
Best Regards,
Gary D Vaught

We can engineer a solution to nearly any problem you can accurately define.

- somewhat anonymous

On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 5:50 PM paul watt < pbw65@...<mailto:pbw65@...>> wrote:
Check it out ..

http://www.arrl.org/news/fcc-proposes-to-reinstate-amateur-radio-service-fees

--
W9TIG

Gary Vaught

Join main@CMRA.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.