Re: I found a universal battery charger dropped by MFJ.

James Wiles

Very cool, thanks Bob

On Jan 27, 2021, at 7:33 AM, Boback <RNAckerman@gmail.com> wrote:

´╗┐Yes you can recharge Alkaline Batteries, but be careful. They can get hot so charge slowly, can leak or split (then throw away), or pop or explode. A general rule to charge at no more than 180-190mA for AA batteries, and 90-95mA for AAA batteries. Just searched the Internet quickly and a couple of sites said to charge briefly, then let sit. One said 10 minutes on, 50 off. Another said 30 minutes on, 6 hours off. Here is one site I found with good information (in my opinion):

https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fbits.greenslocal.org%2Farticles%2Felectronics-and-computers%2Fcan-you-recharge-alkaline-batteries%2F&;data=04%7C01%7C%7C433017b603ff47d8647208d8c2c81b11%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637473511981540794%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=GyEKKjF43PfgpKkud4SixiaAYpb7koFFpdHuEuArrHA%3D&amp;reserved=0

Bob, N6VZO

On 1/26/21 8:45 PM, Tim Spurgeon wrote:
CMRA gang and Richard (W6RKK):

Several years ago, I bought a universal battery charger, mainly for the purpose of recharging Li-ion 18650 batteries that came in my Rig Expert AA600.

It wasn't until a week ago I tried a new feature on the charger; to charge alkaline AAA batteries. Over a couple of days I slowly recharged three batteries
out of one of my flashlights, and sure enough it worked. I don't know any more than it worked on alkaline batteries that I use every night.
I don't know how many recharge cycles I can get from alkaline batteries, but I did get one, so the price I paid for the AAA batteries is now halved. I am
pleased.

When I went to the MFJ catalogue, the recharger was no longer listed.

However, I found it on Amazon and WalMart listed as: Universal Smart Battery Charger, or search for FC997, approximately $37 (don't get the batteries).
Then you will be set up to recharge any small battery commonly used in your gear.

I know that we should not use our CMRA site to sell stuff. However, batteries are part of our gear that we all must have for radio sport
and I thought this information would be useful. It has sure helped me!

73

Tim E. Spurgeon
W0TES