Re: I found a universal battery charger dropped by MFJ.

Boback

Where I used to work, we were required to dispose of AAA and AA batteries into a special trash can or recycling. Think about the trash space that could have been saved if all batteries were either properly recycled or properly recharged. It would not be hard to put a heat sensor within the charger to auto shutdown when getting hot. I think that the long time to recharge may affect whether people recharge or dispose and buy new.

Bob, N6VZO

On 1/27/21 11:15 AM, Tim Spurgeon wrote:
Bob,

Thanks for the reply. What amazes me is that this is not widely known.
It is like a secret that battery makers don't want us to know, so we keep
buying more "use once" batteries.

The key, as you also discovered, is to keep alkaline batteries from getting
too hot during the charging process. So why were battery chargers not
available 40 years ago, with timers that would allow short term charging,
followed by a timed cool down? Think of the money and resources that
could have been saved - money that went into the battery companies'
pockets. I am very pleased with the MFJ battery charger that I purchased
several years ago, and I am glad that I found the same charger (different name)
still being sold by another name on Walmart/Amazon.

73

Tim E. Spurgeon