Old Sea Story for Brass Pounders

John W. Smith

I've been slowly plodding my way through a collection of sea stories and came across one that will be of interest to CW operators. It's by Jacland Marmur called "The Ransom of Peter Drake." It was originally published in the Saturday Evening Post, January 3, 1948. Here's a summary I found online. It doesn't do the story justice, but you'll get the idea anyway.

"Short story. The story about a radio operator who panicked and did not get a distress call out when his ship sank, causing the crew to spend weeks in a lifeboat before being rescued. He signs on another ship as an ordinary seaman. Well you guessed it, the ship starts sinking and he has a chance to redeem himself."

This message came to you from
John Wesley Smith
kc0hsb@...
Find musings of an eclectic pilgrim at