Re: Winlink exercises

KC0EZE Ernest Shaw

You’ll get there!   Sounds like you are getting closer.  Keep up the good work!

73,
Ernest (KC0EZE)

On Thu, Dec 16, 2021 at 11:00 AM Boback <RNAckerman@...> wrote:

Follow up to my problem. After determining that the Mobilinkd plug does not seat far enough into the ICOM 51A, I studied the plug and I noticed a raised plastic ledge molded on the connector which prevented the connector from going in farther. Using a sharp knife I shaved away that ledge about 1/8" back, and the plug does insert farther. Now the radio does transmit but I haven't been connected yet. It might be a setup issue with the Mobilinkd TNC. Studying the manual now.

On my ICOM 4100 that I am using for a base, while working on the above, I realized that the mic is not a speaker mic. A quick review in the manual I confirmed that there is no audio coming out to the mic connector, therefore the TNC-X I am using received no signal. Looks like I am going to make a cable that pulls the audio from the speaker plug in the back of the radio and "Y"s into the cable with the mic cable to the TNC. I got a project ahead of me.

I come from the computer world where everything is plug and play, or at least as tweak of the software. I feel like a beginner HAM again.

Bob, N6VZO

On 12/15/21 6:58 AM, Boback via groups.io wrote:

I want to thank everybody for the help, suggestions and assistance last night at the meeting to try to get Winlink working through my ICOM 51A radio. Taking the suggestions to heart, this morning I carefully measured how far the cable for the Mobilinkd was inserted into the HT. I then pulled out my extension microphone and measured that. There is about 1/8" difference in depth between the two (The mic goes in farther). That appears to be my problem.

I think I will act on one suggestion, but a cheap mic from Amazon, insure it works properly, cut the cord and patch in the TNC end connector.

Thanks,

73s, Bob, N6VZO

On 12/13/21 1:06 PM, Bill McFarland - N0AXZ wrote:
Thanks, Bob,
I  have you on the list for Winlink exercises.
Please stand by for more.
bill N0AXZ

On Sun, Dec 12, 2021 at 10:31 AM Boback <RNAckerman@...> wrote:

Now that I got WInlink working, I would participate.

Bob N6VZO

On 12/8/21 9:43 PM, Bill McFarland - N0AXZ wrote:
Group,
There were a good number of us using Winlink for the SET, but things keep changing and we need to practice to keep our radios doing the right thing as we can forget over time of non-use.

So I am asking for those who would like to do a Winlink exercise once a week to respond to this email. I will take a week to collect your red hot responses and then make a group of Winlink practitioners to which all subsequent emails will be sent.

What would you be getting into?

Each week I will send you some instructions via your regular internet email describing what you should try in a Winlink session. You will have a few days to do the homework and send your Winlink message. You can use any mode and any RMS node in general with some exceptions. We will experiment with forms, and pictures and some Peer-to-Peer opportunities, and some Tactical call signs with all that. We will specify some non-local RMS nodes to see how well we can get out of the county (HF) should we need that in some emergency response. (but we don't want to swamp any node with all our messages :)

So I would send out a play on Sunday night and you would have until Thursday 11:59 PM to send your Winlink message to me. That will give me Friday and Saturday to see how we are doing and what comes next (or REPEAT).

The developers of Winlink are continually improving the system so we need to open Winlink Express and take the updates that pop up regularly. For instance the Check--in form has just gotten a significant change. You will need to know your GPS coordinates and now they have added What 3 Words (W3W). If you don't know what that is, your first assignment is to find out what your W3W are.

It will be fun and educational all at once. If you have never used Winlink before but are willing to try sending email by radio, join us and ask questions and get help setting things up. At the beginning if you don't have a radio connected to your computer, you can use the Telnet session which only requires you to have internet to play.

Please send your requests to join, or questions before you commit to me off-list (billmcfarland10@...).

Happy Holiday,