Topics

[bcares] Report: California Earthquakes Disrupted HF Propagation on West Coast

Chris Swisher

On Jul 10, 2019, at 8:07 AM, Tim Spurgeon <tims173@...> wrote:

Ralph,

Thanks for the article.  I have never heard of this before, but I see how it is possible with shearing strata of rocks and piezo electric effects.

It is disconcerting when anything interrupts HF radio, especially during major earthquakes (and I assume aftershocks).  I printed out the article in Scientific American and will read it later.

73

Tim
(W0TES)

*************************************8

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ralph Howard" <wd6bgn@...>
To: cmra@groups.io, bcares@groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, July 10, 2019 4:00:39 AM
Subject: [bcares] Report: California Earthquakes Disrupted HF Propagation on West Coast

This came to me from my old ARC in Hayward, CA.

Very interesting.  I have never heard of this before.
I doubt it affected line of sight radio, I think it would be hard to Raf disrupt a repeater, as long as it has ax power and the antenna isn't laying on the ground.

Perhaps for our 120 mile links need more power?  Say a kw?  For 40 perhaps a hillbilly beam.  IE three vertical antennas space out to make a beam, pointed to where we need to get to.

https://qrznow.com/report-california-earthquakes-disrupted-hf-propagation-on-west-coast/

73 fer now

Ralph Howard
WD6BGN