Winlink Exercise

Bill McFarland - N0AXZ

Group,
I wonder if anyone else would like to practice getting your Winlink capabilities to work from your shack, as opposed to what I tried to get done from your mobile devices at the last SET?
I am thinking of one night we would all get on an appropriate 2M  frequency and play an e-mail chain-letter game. We would be using the Peer-to-Peer feature of Winlink Express. I would send email to A P2P. The email would have instructions as to what to add to the message. A sends that message to B, B sends to C, etc..

The last station in the ring would send the email back to me and we would discuss how the process worked out for each of us. I think I remember that there were about 10 participants in the SET that were going to try Winlink, but only 5 were successful.

More practice could help improve our capabilities, and from the comfort of our home, we might have a good time.

What I am asking in this email is how many players do we have? Just email me with in the next week if your are interested. If you need help setting up your station to do Winlink, let us know and some help could be on the way.

Henry Taylor <hank008@...>

Count me in.  I am a bit familiar with Winmor on Pactor on 80 meters.  I'll look into what I have to do to be on 2 meter.  All advice gratefully accepted.

Hank

泰 勒
大胡子

On Jan 12, 2020, at 8:26 PM, Bill McFarland - N0AXZ <billmcfarland10@...> wrote:

[...]

Ralph Howard

Oky doky from the shack, i might have a chance w
With the main rig.

Ralph Howard
WD6BGN

[...]

Gary Vaught - W9TIG

I think this is a great idea.  I'll have to check in on it once I finish my classes.

We can engineer a solution to nearly any problem you can accurately define.

- somewhat anonymous

On Sun, Jan 12, 2020 at 9:14 PM Ralph Howard <wd6bgn@...> wrote:
[...]

John Beatty

I’d like to give it a try Bill.

John – NO0I

[...]

Great. I’ll keep you informed. Do you check into  K0SI-10 on VHF already?
Bill

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 6:03 PM John Beatty <jebeatty@...> wrote:

I’d like to give it a try Bill.

John – NO0I

[...]

Jim Biggerstaff N0TKN

Sounds like fun if I happen to be available.  I also try my best to participate in the weekly Florida Winlink check in.  It is easy, you have better than a 24 hour window to participate each week and you can use any mode you wish:  Telnet, Packet or HF.  If anyone is interested I can supply the information on how to join.  73,  Jim

Henry Taylor <hank008@...>

Jim,

Good to hear from you.  I am definitely interested in the Florida Winlink on HF. Will appreciate that info.

73,

Hank

泰 勒
大胡子

On Jan 14, 2020, at 11:29 AM, Jim Biggerstaff N0TKN <jim.biggerstaff@...> wrote:

Sounds like fun if I happen to be available.  I also try my best to participate in the weekly Florida Winlink check in.  It is easy, you have better than a 24 hour window to participate each week and you can use any mode you wish:  Telnet, Packet or HF.  If anyone is interested I can supply the information on how to join.  73,  Jim

Bill McFarland - N0AXZ

Jim,
I think it would be good for us to see the Winlink net information you mentioned.
I wonder if you are able to use our RMS node, K0SI-10 here, and if you have used the Jeff City digipeter, MJEF, to connect to it as well?
Can you use the HF RMS node K0SI also?
Thanks for responding to the first Winlink call for  a peer to peer net. Do you think we can reach each other directly?
Good to hear from you,
Bill N0AXZ

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 11:49 AM Jim Biggerstaff N0TKN <jim.biggerstaff@...> wrote:
Sounds like fun if I happen to be available.  I also try my best to participate in the weekly Florida Winlink check in.  It is easy, you have better than a 24 hour window to participate each week and you can use any mode you wish:  Telnet, Packet or HF.  If anyone is interested I can supply the information on how to join.  73,  Jim

KC0EZE Ernest Shaw

I'm game!

EZE

On Sun, Jan 12, 2020 at 8:26 PM Bill McFarland - N0AXZ <billmcfarland10@...> wrote:
[...]

Alright. We are up to 5. Still taking names.
N0AXZ

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 10:36 PM Ernest Shaw <ernestcshaw@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi Bill and the group,
To answer Bill's questions...  Yes I always connect to the K0SI RMS nodes either packet or HF when using Winlink.  (Except on one occasion I could not connect on the HF side so it was off to a station in Arkansas.)
Without changing antennas, I cannot connect to the K0SI packet node directly so I go thru the MEPN site MJEF Digipeter K0ETY-2.
I will post a second message titled "Florida Winlink Check-In" with that information.  It is truly simple.
73,  Jim

Bill McFarland - N0AXZ

Thanks Jim,

Will try out Florida Winlink net.