This was really great thanks

James Wiles

Being newly Hammed, and looking for a dual band radio,this Baofeng is appealing because I they’re cheap. But I guess you get what you pay for. I want to make the right choice and not buy junk. I don’t understand harmonics, but this article explains some of it, and now I’m think or looking at this Wouxun KG-UV9D, please if you have suggestions and where to buy, it would be most appreciated. I don’t have a call sign yet but I go by JW and my email address is wilesjw@hotmail.com

Thanks

Gary Vaught - W9TIG

I'd suggest asking around the guys in the club/group.  A lot of the guys who have been doing this for a couple of years (or decades) have HTs and mobiles that they might let go for under a couple hundred dollars.  I got my first HT from a club member, and added an aftermarket antenna - it served me well for a couple of years as long as I stayed within transmit range of the repeater.

The $35 Baofeng looks appealing, but you really need to know what you're doing there or it can encourage some undesirable habits.

But that's all just my opinion.  Welcome to amateur radio!!!

We can engineer a solution to nearly any problem you can accurately define.

- somewhat anonymous

On Mar 24, 2020, at 7:21 AM, Gary Vaught - W9TIG <gdv.pops@...> wrote:

[...]

Boback

I have a Wouxun KG-UVD1P with charger, manual and remote mike you can have. If you upgrade, pass it back or pass it along. It was cheap and served me well for a few years.

Bob Ackerman
N6VZO

On 3/24/2020 7:07 AM, James Wiles wrote:
Being newly Hammed, and looking for a dual band radio,this Baofeng is appealing because I they’re cheap. But I guess you get what you pay for. I want to make the right choice and not buy junk. I don’t understand harmonics, but this article explains some of it, and now I’m think or looking at this Wouxun KG-UV9D, please if you have suggestions and where to buy, it would be most appreciated. I don’t have a call sign yet but I go by JW and my email address is wilesjw@hotmail.com

Thanks

paul watt

James,
I use a KG-UV9D as my primary HT and they are great radios!  They are durable, easy to program and sound good.  Wouxun has a variety of options for it as well.  I bought mine at the link listed below.  I've owned it for 4 years now and its never let me down.  I would recommend that you buy a good aftermarket dual band antenna for it to fully maximize the radio.  I hope that helps.
Paul KE0IKG

https://www.buytwowayradios.com/consumer/amateur-radios.html

On Mar 24, 2020 07:07, James Wiles <wilesjw@...> wrote:

Being newly Hammed, and looking for a dual band radio,this Baofeng is appealing because I they’re cheap. But I guess you get what you pay for.  I want to make the right choice and not buy junk.  I don’t understand harmonics, but this article explains some of it, and now I’m think or looking at this Wouxun KG-UV9D, please if you have suggestions and where to buy, it would be most appreciated. I don’t have a call sign yet but I go by JW and my email address is wilesjw@...

Thanks

Mike Morgan

I recommend the Wouxun. The Beofeng is illegal. You might invest in the longest antenna you can find. 73', km0mvr.

[...]

Chris Swisher

Mike,
Could you show me where the Baofeng is illegal?

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 11:39 AM Mike Morgan <cavecritter@...> wrote:
[...]

Wow, Chris.  You just like poking the bear, don't you?

My understanding is that SOME of the Baofeng models do not PREVENT you from transmitting in certain, prohibited frequencies.  In other words, they will allow you to transmit on frequencies where it is illegal for amateur license operators to transmit.  I've read a few articles, and a lot of opinions, which say that this makes the radio illegal.  I'm not a lawyer and I've not seen a conclusive ruling from the FCC, but I do believe there is a difference between the radio being illegal and the radio allowing an uninformed or malicious operator to perform an illegal act.

Again, my 2 Lincolns

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 11:51 AM Chris Swisher <Komu8ce@...> wrote:
[...]

Henry Taylor <hank008@...>

I have looked into the law in the past, when I bought my fist Baofeng  from overseas.  Unless the law has since changed:  it is (was, anyway) quite legal to own and operate (including transmit).  It was legal to acquire one, used or new from overseas.  You're on your own to avoid the illegal frequencies.

It was and is illegal for a USA-based dealer to sell one, however.  Baofeng responded by putting in the required transmit restrictions for sale to American dealers, who could then of course sell them.  They continued to sell the unmodified version to any individual, by international mail.

In fact, any domestic radio (like  Kenwoods) are easily modified for that.  Mine all are so modified because I participate in both MARS and SHARES, both of which use non-FCC frequencies.  The Civil Air Patrol also does this, and there are many websites that tell you how to do the "MARS/CAP" mod as they call it.

In summary, there are good and compelling reasons for "out of frequency" radios owned by amateur operators.  The FCC restrictions help keep inexperienced operators out of trouble, but the myth of "illegality" is just that; a myth.

Hope this helps.  Not intended to annoy or contradict anybody, just trying to supply some relevant facts.  If my info is outdated, somebody please supply corrections and bring me up to date.

Hank KD0BVQ NCS583 AAR7OB

泰 勒
大胡子

On Mar 24, 2020, at 11:58 AM, Gary Vaught - W9TIG <gdv.pops@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for clarifying, Hank.  That was what I was trying to say, but probably just botched it all up.

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 12:28 PM Henry Taylor <hank008@...> wrote:
[...]

The radio I have available to any new HAM that would like to have it, is a Wouxun KG-UVD1P dual band. It is one of the unlocked units I have any used it with CERT, Columbia Fire Department (with permission during CERT Events) and other activities. It does have a bunch of frequencies already pre-programmed (I will provide a list, and may No-No frequencies already blocked for transmit) and is a good HT for a beginner. All of the below are good things to consider.

Again, free to any new HAM. Used it, program it, and when you upgrade, either return it or pass it on to somebody else. Maybe this is a radio for the club to hold onto and loan it for beginners.

Bob Ackerman
N6VZO

P.S. I am not a club member as my available time does not allow me to attend meetings, nets, and functions.

On 3/24/2020 12:28 PM, Henry Taylor wrote:
[...]

It is my understand that if it does not have a FCC number displayed, it is illegal.

On 3/24/2020 11:51 AM, Chris Swisher wrote:
[...]

For any operations other than Part 97 (Amateur), that is correct. Some Wouxouns are Part 90 Type accepted, but none are Part 95 (GMRS) or Part 97 type accepted that I am aware of. I would be very careful on possessing any radio that transmits on emergency response agencies frequencies, but that is my opinion. Again, the radio itself is not illegal, but operation on unlicensed frequencies with non-type accepted transmitters is illegal.

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 1:15 PM Boback <RNAckerman@...> wrote:
[...]

Good, now we're on the same page.

泰 勒
大胡子

On Mar 24, 2020, at 1:26 PM, Chris Swisher <Komu8ce@...> wrote:

[...]

Corey

This is Deja Vu at its finest. Several of the veteran Hams (I’m not One) have been discussing that radio the past couple years. We found them being sold at Walmart where the toys are advertising  as walkie talkies.... Nothing about needing a license to use on the label, sold in 2 per pack and 4 per pack.  Besides that we put it on a spectrum analyzer.
Found the same results.  The Anytone radio is a good handheld and for a bonus you get the Digital.  Several folks sell them, Most have supported Bridgecom.

On Tuesday, March 24, 2020, 1:26 PM, Chris Swisher <Komu8ce@...> wrote:

[...]

I have three hand held. Two baofengs and one wouxoun.   Seating about ten foot from the paper shredder, I can turn it on using my baofengs. I don't have that problem with the wouxoun. When doing this low tec., test, I am using programmed repeater frequencies. Now you can analyze this all you want. That is my story and I am staying the course.