K0SI packet down?

Fred Dittrich

Hi

This morning it says:

*** Starting to call K0SI-10
*** Opening serial port COM6; 9600 baud; Kantronics
*** Connecting to K0SI-10
*** Disconnecting due to timeout

Bill McFarland - N0AXZ

Thanks Fred,
Can't explain this one. It worked for me. When I went remote to the node I saw that you had connected, but couldnot  tell why you had trouble.
It worked for me even going through MJEF (accidentally).
Bill

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 7:47 AM Fred Dittrich <fdittric@...> wrote:
Hi

This morning it says:

*** Starting to call K0SI-10
*** Opening serial port COM6; 9600 baud; Kantronics
*** Connecting to K0SI-10
*** Disconnecting due to timeout

Fred Dittrich

Bill

Thanks. I'll give it another try this afternoon.

At 09:45 AM 8/25/2020, you wrote:
Thanks Fred,
Can't explain this one. It worked for me. When I went remote to the node I saw that you had connected, but couldnot  tell why you had trouble.Â
It worked for me even going through MJEF (accidentally).
Bill

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 7:47 AM Fred Dittrich <fdittric@...> wrote:
Hi

This morning it says:

*** Starting to call K0SI-10
*** Opening serial port COM6; 9600 baud; Kantronics
*** Connecting to K0SI-10
*** Disconnecting due to timeout

Ryan Raney

It took me 4 tries to get it to work, I tried direct twice, I tried through MMJY, and finally through MJEF and it finally sent my test message

Ryan Raney

I swear I replied to this already but I'm also having trouble. It takes about 5 attempts to completely send/receive. Seems like k0si-10 gives up and doesn't finish the transaction.

Don - KM0R

Hi Ryan,

Based on your location from the FCC database, you’ll have a better shot at hitting MJEF than going direct to K0SI-10 due to terrain.  A directional antenna might help that some as well.

Try turning up the volume on your radio (assuming you are not using the speaker jack to hook up to your TNC), then listen to the exchange between you and K0SI-10 or MJEF.  Do you hear the other end respond each time you transmit?  If not, the other end may not be hearing your transmissions (or may not be decoding them).  Also, you’ll want to be sure that you are not overdriving your TNC with audio from the radio.  Overdriving the audio will distort the audio and make it hard for the other end to decode your transmissions.  You can also try lengthening your TX Delay setting a bit, usually 300ms is enough but no more than 450ms in my experience with packet.  If the TX Delay is too short, the other end doesn’t have time to sync onto your transmissions.

Hope this helps!

73,

Don – KM0R