Antenna Tower Installation

William Johnson

My in-laws and I are finally putting up a tower.   The tower is a Rohn 25G that is 80'.   The plan is to bury the 1st half of the 1st section in concrete and the tower will be attached to the building at approximately 20' up.   My question is how big of a concrete foundation do we need to pour for the tower, and also do we need to put guy wires farther up, like at the top?

73, KE0PKO

Bryan Nehl <k0emt@...>

See http://www.rohnnet.com/files/2015_Rohn_Full_Catalog.pdf#page=170

For self-supporting Rohn G series.  If you are somewhere that needs a permit, the drawings and specs from the manufacturer help a ton.

73 de Bryan, k0emt

On Aug 28, 2020, at 12:51, William Johnson <Wdjohnson81@...> wrote:

My in-laws and I are finally putting up a tower.   The tower is a Rohn 25G that is 80'.   The plan is to bury the 1st half of the 1st section in concrete and the tower will be attached to the building at approximately 20' up.   My question is how big of a concrete foundation do we need to pour for the tower, and also do we need to put guy wires farther up, like at the top?

73, KE0PKO

Bryan Nehl <k0emt@...>

Forgot to say that guying information is in another part of the document. There is also max wind load specs.

On Aug 28, 2020, at 12:51, William Johnson <Wdjohnson81@...> wrote:

My in-laws and I are finally putting up a tower.   The tower is a Rohn 25G that is 80'.   The plan is to bury the 1st half of the 1st section in concrete and the tower will be attached to the building at approximately 20' up.   My question is how big of a concrete foundation do we need to pour for the tower, and also do we need to put guy wires farther up, like at the top?

73, KE0PKO

James Whitehill

That's good news, William.  Willam was an enthusiastic and successful member of the Tech class taught by Myron and I in autumn of 2017

William, I'll leave it to others for the answers you seek, but would add the importance of grounding and bonding  the tower, to provide lightning and other protections thru grounding and bonding techniques.  Mac, K4CHS, is an expert on the grounding of towers, but another source is that ARRL has a small book on "Grounding and Bonding".  They also have a text on towers by guys who do that for a living (e.g., W2GD).  Also, we have a few experienced "tower guys" in the club who may be free to help.

Jim, N0SSM

On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 1:03 PM Bryan Nehl <k0emt@...> wrote:
Forgot to say that guying information is in another part of the document. There is also max wind load specs.

On Aug 28, 2020, at 12:51, William Johnson <Wdjohnson81@...> wrote:

My in-laws and I are finally putting up a tower.   The tower is a Rohn 25G that is 80'.   The plan is to bury the 1st half of the 1st section in concrete and the tower will be attached to the building at approximately 20' up.   My question is how big of a concrete foundation do we need to pour for the tower, and also do we need to put guy wires farther up, like at the top?

73, KE0PKO

William Johnson

I have to look in some totes but I think I actually have that Grounding book.