Current high capacity thumb drive scams

Fred Dittrich

Hi

See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFY5hd273lI Fake Flash Devices Are Everywhere!

Fred AE0FD

Ralph Howard

Odd.
I have ordered from Wish the 2tb thumb drives.  All 5 work perfectly.  I use Paypal with Wish and have no unresolved problems.  Sometime I get the wrong product.  I use the refund process and get my refund, mostl within 3 working days.

From: main@CMRA.groups.io <main@CMRA.groups.io> on behalf of Fred Dittrich <fdittric@...>
Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 2021 3:43:03 PM
To: main@cmra.groups.io <main@cmra.groups.io>
Subject: [CMRA] Current high capacity thumb drive scams

Hi

See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFY5hd273lI    Fake Flash
Devices Are Everywhere!

Fred AE0FD

Fred Dittrich

Ralph

Try this experiment with one of them:

1)  Format it with Windows
2)  See what Win Explorer reports its size to be after formatting.

This information would be useful for everyone.

Fred AE0FD

At 04:03 PM 7/28/2021, you wrote:

Odd.
I have ordered from Wish the 2tb thumb drives.  All 5 work perfectly.  I use Paypal with Wish and have no unresolved problems.  Sometime I get the wrong product.  I use the refund process and get my refund, mostl within 3 working days.

Get Outlook for Android

From: main@CMRA.groups.io <main@CMRA.groups.io> on behalf of Fred Dittrich <fdittric@...>

Hi

Devices Are Everywhere!

Fred AE0FD

Ralph Howard

Yup it worked fine. Windows reported 1.9xxx TB.  Windows always grabs some space for internals.

Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 2021 5:02:24 PM
To: main@CMRA.groups.io <main@CMRA.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CMRA] Current high capacity thumb drive scams

Ralph

Fred AE0FD

Odd.

Get Outlook for Android

Hi

Devices Are Everywhere!

Fred AE0FD

Fred Dittrich

Ralph

As long as you can get off what you put on, then ...

Fred AE0FD

At 05:15 PM 7/28/2021, you wrote:

Yup it worked fine. Windows reported 1.9xxx TB.  Windows always grabs some space for internals.

Get Outlook for Android

Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 2021 5:02:24 PM
To: main@CMRA.groups.io <main@CMRA.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CMRA] Current high capacity thumb drive scams

Ralph

Fred AE0FD

Odd.

Get Outlook for Android

Hi

Devices Are Everywhere!

Fred AE0FD

Boback

I have purchased cheap flash drives from Wish, E-Bay and Amazon for work and home, and I find that when formatted they report the proper size, but when copying large files to fill up the drive, some frequently fail to copy all of the files reporting the drive as full. Some, do complete the copy process, yet many files are 0 byte file length. I usually toss those, unless the purchase is refundable.

One of the tests I do is copy large backup files (100GB+ each) to the drive to fill the drive, then copy back and match sizes. If they don't match, in the trash. Some cheap drives will copy the file, let when copied back, the files are 0 length.

I have been doing these tests for years. I just retired after 38 years in IT. I still do this with new flash drives. I do purchase the brand names and still test them.

On another note, I have received USB drives from vendors and in the mail, that report a very small size, but after formatting I find that many are quite larger than originally reported. The vendors only formatted enough space to fit their marketing materials. I still use some of them.

Bob Ackerman

N6VZO

On 7/28/21 4:03 PM, Ralph Howard wrote:

Odd.

Hi

Devices Are Everywhere!

Fred AE0FD

Fred Dittrich

Bob

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Fred AE0FD

At 05:31 PM 7/28/2021, you wrote:

I have purchased cheap flash drives from Wish, E-Bay and Amazon for work and home, and I find that when formatted they report the proper size, but when copying large files to fill up the drive, some frequently fail to copy all of the files reporting the drive as full. Some, do complete the copy process, yet many files are 0 byte file length. I usually toss those, unless the purchase is refundable.

One of the tests I do is copy large backup files (100GB+ each) to the drive to fill the drive, then copy back and match sizes. If they don't match, in the trash. Some cheap drives will copy the file, let when copied back, the files are 0 length.

I have been doing these tests for years. I just retired after 38 years in IT. I still do this with new flash drives. I do purchase the brand names and still test them.

On another note, I have received USB drives from vendors and in the mail, that report a very small size, but after formatting I find that many are quite larger than originally reported. The vendors only formatted enough space to fit their marketing materials. I still use some of them.

Bob Ackerman

N6VZO

On 7/28/21 4:03 PM, Ralph Howard wrote:
Odd.

Get Outlook for Android

Hi

Devices Are Everywhere!

Fred AE0FD