Field Day trivia question

Fred Dittrich

Hi

About 5 years ago at field day I scanned two end fed antennas. The results were so surprising to me that I did not take note of their make/model. I wonder if anyone might remember that?

Alex Gray

Fred. I remember you scanning my end fed antenna. A few years back. I’ve included the link below. Hope that helps.

W0RAG

On Jul 20, 2021, at 12:26 AM, Fred Dittrich <fdittric@...> wrote:

Hi

About 5 years ago at field day I scanned two end fed antennas. The results were so surprising to me that I did not take note of their make/model. I wonder if anyone might remember that?

Fred Dittrich

Alex

Thank you for the memory jog. I am pondering a better solution to Ralph KE0AJE's mobile home park location than his current Comet mobile HF antenna so he can work the whole world. Implementation is subject to park management veto of course.

At 08:58 AM 7/20/2021, you wrote:
Fred. I remember you scanning my end fed antenna. A few years back. I’ve included the link below. Hope that helps.

https://mfjenterprises.com/products/mfj-1984mp

Alex Gray
W0RAG

On Jul 20, 2021, at 12:26 AM, Fred Dittrich <fdittric@...> wrote:

Hi

About 5 years ago at field day I scanned two end fed antennas. The results were so surprising to me that I did not take note of their make/model. I wonder if anyone might remember that?

H Jacobson

Hi Fred:

I think mine may have been the other you scanned.  It was a Par End Fed 40/20/10.  It was a qrp antenna.  I've worked into Europe with it on 3 watts, SSB.  It helps to get it as high as possible, of course.

I currently am using an 49:1 balun from Balun Designs with a 134 foot wire attached.  It resonates on 80/40/20, and tunes easily on the higher bands.

73.

Hal, N8HSD

At 08:58 AM 7/20/2021, you wrote:
Fred. I remember you scanning my end fed antenna. A few years back. I’ve included the link below. Hope that helps.

https://mfjenterprises.com/products/mfj-1984mp

Alex Gray
W0RAG

On Jul 20, 2021, at 12:26 AM, Fred Dittrich <fdittric@...> wrote:

Hi

About 5 years ago at field day I scanned two end fed antennas. The results were so surprising to me that I did not take note of their make/model. I wonder if anyone might remember that?

Fred Dittrich

Hal

Thanks a lot for the make/model.

It turns out that Ralph is limited by his park management and does not have the space for even a 40 end fed.

At 05:51 PM 7/23/2021, you wrote:
Hi Fred:

I think mine may have been the other you scanned.  It was a Par End Fed 40/20/10.  It was a qrp antenna.  I've worked into Europe with it on 3 watts, SSB.  It helps to get it as high as possible, of course.

I currently am using an 49:1 balun from Balun Designs with a 134 foot wire attached.  It resonates on 80/40/20, and tunes easily on the higher bands.

73.

Hal, N8HSD

On Tuesday, July 20, 2021, 09:28:54 AM CDT, Fred Dittrich <fdittric@...> wrote:

Alex

Thank you for the memory jog. I am pondering a better solution to Ralph KE0AJE's mobile home park location than his current Comet mobile HF antenna so he can work the whole world. Implementation is subject to park management veto of course.

At 08:58 AM 7/20/2021, you wrote:
Fred. I remember you scanning my end fed antenna. A few years back. I̢۪ve included th the link below. Hope that helps.

https://mfjenterprises.com/products/mfj-1984mp

Alex Gray
W0RAG

On Jul 20, 2021, at 12:26 AM, Fred Dittrich <fdittric@...> wrote:

Hi

About 5 years ago at field day I scanned two end fed antennas. The results were so surprising to me that I did not take note of their make/model. I wonder if anyone might remember that?

Ralph Howard

Is there room to zig zag a wire.  Perhaps 3-4 ft above the roof of the trailer?  It is wonky, but the auto tuner should figure it out.

At 08:58 AM 7/20/2021, you wrote:
Fred. I remember you scanning my end fed antenna. A few years back. I̢۪ve included th the link below. Hope that helps.

https://mfjenterprises.com/products/mfj-1984mp

Alex Gray
W0RAG

On Jul 20, 2021, at 12:26 AM, Fred Dittrich <fdittric@...> wrote:

Hi

About 5 years ago at field day I scanned two end fed antennas. The results were so surprising to me that I did not take note of their make/model. I wonder if anyone might remember that?

Byron Sherman

Good ideas. I have had the zig zag work well. Also, a group called Spiro used to sell a shortened dipole. If he has an auto tuner, it might be able to end feed half of a shortened dipole. wes ab0se

On 2021-07-23 22:03, Ralph Howard wrote:
Is there room to zig zag a wire. Perhaps 3-4 ft above the roof of the
trailer? It is wonky, but the auto tuner should figure it out.

Get Outlook for Android [2]

-------------------------

FROM: main@CMRA.groups.io <main@CMRA.groups.io> on behalf of Fred
Dittrich <fdittric@...>
SENT: Friday, July 23, 2021 9:33:23 PM
TO: main@CMRA.groups.io <main@CMRA.groups.io>
SUBJECT: Re: [CMRA] Field Day trivia question

https://mfjenterprises.com/products/mfj-1984mp [1]

wrote:

Hi

About 5 years ago at field day I scanned two end fed antennas.
The results were so surprising to me that I did not take note of
their make/model. I wonder if anyone might remember that?

Links:
------
[1] https://mfjenterprises.com/products/mfj-1984mp
[2] https://aka.ms/AAb9ysg
[3] https://CMRA.groups.io/g/main/message/4355
[4]
mailto:main@CMRA.groups.io?subject=Re:%20Re%3A%20%5BCMRA%5D%20Field%20Day%20trivia%20question
[5] https://groups.io/mt/84326921/1212406
[6] https://CMRA.groups.io/g/main/post
[7] https://CMRA.groups.io/g/main/editsub/1212406
[8] mailto:main+owner@CMRA.groups.io
[9] https://CMRA.groups.io/g/main/leave/2773180/1212406/295018278/xyzzy

Fred Dittrich

Ralph

Every mobile home has more than enough room for a 100m long zig-zag antenna 1m above the metal roof, but .....

At 11:03 PM 7/23/2021, you wrote:
Is there room to zig zag a wire.  Perhaps 3-4 ft above the roof of the trailer?  It is wonky, but the auto tuner should figure it out.

Get Outlook for Android

At 08:58 AM 7/20/2021, you wrote:
Fred. I remember you scanning my end fed antenna. A few years back. I̢۪ve included th the link below. Hope that helps.

https://mfjenterprises.com/products/mfj-1984mp

Alex Gray
W0RAG

On Jul 20, 2021, at 12:26 AM, Fred Dittrich <fdittric@...> wrote:

Hi

About 5 years ago at field day I scanned two end fed antennas. The results were so surprising to me that I did not take note of their make/model. I wonder if anyone might remember that?

Ralph Howard

Another thought.  How about a 40m whip.  Mount it on a pallet and weigh it down with cinder block.  I think hi tuner will match down to 8'.  Use the metal roof as a counterpoise.  Should be almost invisable from the ground.  The pallet would spread the weight out as to not damage the roof.  Just a thought.

At 08:58 AM 7/20/2021, you wrote:
Fred. I remember you scanning my end fed antenna. A few years back. I̢۪ve included th the link below. Hope that helps.

https://mfjenterprises.com/products/mfj-1984mp

Alex Gray
W0RAG

On Jul 20, 2021, at 12:26 AM, Fred Dittrich <fdittric@...> wrote:

Hi

About 5 years ago at field day I scanned two end fed antennas. The results were so surprising to me that I did not take note of their make/model. I wonder if anyone might remember that?

Fred Dittrich

Ralph

Hmmm, that would definitely boost antenna efficiency on selected bands. The down side would be risking damage to roof waterproofing. Presently he can tune parts of 80, 40, 20, 15, and 10, with varying amounts of tunable range in each band. There is no free lunch.

73

Fred

At 08:58 AM 7/20/2021, you wrote:
Fred. I remember you scanning my end fed antenna. A few years back. I̢۪ve included th the link below. Hope that helps.

https://mfjenterprises.com/products/mfj-1984mp

Alex Gray
W0RAG

On Jul 20, 2021, at 12:26 AM, Fred Dittrich <fdittric@...> wrote:

Hi

About 5 years ago at field day I scanned two end fed antennas. The results were so surprising to me that I did not take note of their make/model. I wonder if anyone might remember that?

Ralph Howard

Nope.  I ran a 40m Hustler mobil antenna with an auto tuner, mobile.  Rig Icom 706 MK2G, auto tuner.  I worked 80, 40 mostly, but tested it on the others.  It seemed to tune ok.  I used the pallet mast holder on a comerical gravel roof.  On a bare tin roof, sole sort of padding would be a good idea.  Hard foam might be best.  That shouldn't absorb water.

The idea of the mobil antenna is out of sight, out of mind.

At 08:58 AM 7/20/2021, you wrote:
Fred. I remember you scanning my end fed antenna. A few years back. I̢۪ve included th the link below. Hope that helps.

https://mfjenterprises.com/products/mfj-1984mp

Alex Gray
W0RAG

On Jul 20, 2021, at 12:26 AM, Fred Dittrich <fdittric@...> wrote:

Hi

About 5 years ago at field day I scanned two end fed antennas. The results were so surprising to me that I did not take note of their make/model. I wonder if anyone might remember that?

Fred Dittrich

Ralph

A 5 band mobile antenna is already installed, so I suspect Ralph's motivation to change solutions might be low.

73

Fred

At 08:58 AM 7/20/2021, you wrote:
Fred. I remember you scanning my end fed antenna. A few years back. I̢۪ve included th the link below. Hope that helps.

https://mfjenterprises.com/products/mfj-1984mp

Alex Gray
W0RAG

On Jul 20, 2021, at 12:26 AM, Fred Dittrich <fdittric@...> wrote:

Hi

About 5 years ago at field day I scanned two end fed antennas. The results were so surprising to me that I did not take note of their make/model. I wonder if anyone might remember that?

Ralph Howard

Ok, just tossing things out.