FYI--Joplin, MO Hamfest is a GO for August 26-27, 2011

John W. Smith

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Joplin, MO Hamfest is a GO for August 26-27, 2011
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 09:46:44 -0400 (EDT)
From: ARRL Members Only Web site <memberlist@...>
To: kc0hsb@...

Here's a note from Jim Scott WB0IYC, Chairman of the 2011 Joplin
Hamfest, saying that the hamfest is going ahead as scheduled for August
26-27, 2011. Jim tells me that a number of Joplin hams have lost
equipment, antennas, and some have lost their homes. Please continue
to keep the residents of Joplin in your thoughts and prayers.

Cliff K0CA

QST de Joplin ARC --

Given all the news coverage, there have been rumors circulating that we
will not be having the Joplin Hamfest this year, and I have been asked
to address the issue before folks make other plans.

I have been in contact with the managers of the convention center, as
well as some hotels in the area, and have confirmed that we are still
on track. The storm passed about a mile north of the main lodging
areas, and the convention center was unaffected.

We are scheduled to have the hamfest as planned. In addition to the
forums, we intend to host a discussion that will address the uses for
amateur radio during disasters such as the one experienced here. It
should be interesting!

We are looking forward to hosting hams from all over the Midwest, and
are hoping that our 22nd Joplin Hamfest will be the biggest ever!

http://www.joplin-arc.org

Please, if you can help me get the word out that the event is going
ahead as scheduled, I would greatly appreciate it!

Kindest Regards,& '73

Jim Scott
WB0IYC
Chairman - 2011 Joplin Hamfest
Joplin, MO

The Joplin HAMFEST is held the 4th weekend each August at the John Q.
Hammons Convention Center located on the outer road at Exit 8-B& I-44,
Joplin, Missouri.
Ample free parking, air conditioned, with 20,000 sq-ft indoors and over
200 tables.
Plan to attend August 26-27, 2011. Friday 4-9, Saturday 8-2.
Club Cookout Friday at 5:30pm
http://www.joplin-arc.org for more information.

The Joplin Amateur Radio Club is a 501-c4 not for profit corporation.