Topics

Ham Radio class question

Cody

Question.
Ham Radio 2.0 on youtube has technician class and general class online in 3 parts on youtube. Is it possible to do a class like that here like their doing at the career center, but also post YouTube video of the class. I mean be another grate resource an not just few people but have more class resources out theie. If anyone did have the video equipment it wonuldent be that hard to record. Just thinking.
But anyways figured I send this out.
Cody Garrett
KE0SWO

Cody

Was wondering if you could all record the class. Because ham radio 2.0 on youtube dose an has at least 2 classes up on youtube. Think it be a grate way to also help educate others from Central Missouri an other places too.
Cody Garrett
KE0SWO

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy, powered by Cricket Wireless

Gary Vaught - W9TIG

Cody,
I like the way you think, but I'm not sure it's practical.  There would be permissions issues to have a class recorded at the Career Center, which is Columbia Public Schools property.  And one of the goals, as I understand it, is that Jim and Myron are there to answer questions and do immediate "Elmering" with the students.  You just can't get the one-on-one face time on YouTube that these guys put into their class.  That interpersonal connection is what creates and builds relationship and interest in the craft, which I believe was their goal from the beginning.

That's not to say that there wouldn't be value in having something like that available, but it sounds like HR2.0 already has that going on.  Is there something missing from their videos that you think our local instructors could add?

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 7:49 AM Cody via Groups.Io <codygarrett28=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Was wondering if you could all record the class. Because ham radio 2.0 on youtube dose an has at least 2 classes up on youtube. Think it be a grate way to also help educate others from Central Missouri an other places too.
Cody Garrett
KE0SWO

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy, powered by Cricket Wireless

Cody

I honestly don’t know.  I know im using the General class and QRZ as a place to learn an understand.  Think it’s a grate start an then ask questions.  The way they explain things is very benifical.  I Know they been talking about doing an Extra Class too.  Just I use youtube a lot to learn different things.  So be cool if one day down the road. But o well.  I will be able to explain more later.  I think what you all talk about at the last grpup with Elmering is good.  But this could also just be others get to see their faces an see the instructor.  Some people have different learning styles.  So with that said you never know, one might not work very well with a person learning, someone else might.  You know how it is.  The General class im watching I learned a lot, but the 2nd instructor you could tell he was new.  But the first instructor he been doing it for years an had very good knologe.  Put his input on his excperince but also look like he been teaching awhile.  All I can say is the more education videos out their the better.  I know their been some ham things or videos by other hams I had a hard time sitting throught but others learned so much.   Haha but anyways im out.

KE0SWO

73,

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

James Whitehill

Cody,

Thanks for the good questions and suggestions, and responses from others.

Setting aside the real problem of getting permission from Columbia Public Schools to video a whole course, I hesitate to video our Technician class because it is very interactive with members of the class, as contrasted to a scripted and efficient video production, like some ham radio instruction courses on YouTube.  In our advice sheet for the first class, we recommend the best of the practice tests and one or two of the instructional series videos.  We also use selected short YouTube videos in class, using the classroom PC to Projector setup.

Each class is topically structured (currently in line with Gordon West's Technician class study manual readings).   But. we have  a lot of interaction with class members.  We encourage interrupting questions and work as much as possible in an Elmer/mentor style.  Every class is different, depending on who is in it.

Jim, N0SSM

Corey

One other source for taking Amateur radio on line test.    This site tracks your performance and will auto adjust your test question based on what you have missed.     It’s worth the few dollars it cost.
Take a look, You May like how this program follows your test results.    Corey

On Monday, August 19, 2019, 12:06 PM, James Whitehill <jdwhitehill1603@...> wrote:

[...]

Am I the only person who didn't find the link in Corey's email?  I'd like to take a look at that site.

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 10:39 PM Corey <kc0yns@...> wrote:
One other source for taking Amateur radio on line test.    This site tracks your performance and will auto adjust your test question based on what you have missed.     It’s worth the few dollars it cost.
Take a look, You May like how this program follows your test results.    Corey

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

[...]

AD0UK

I didn't see one either, Corey can you resend the link or name so we can take a look!  Thanks!

73

Brian
AD0UK