From: COREY MESENBRINK <kc0yns@...>
To: "cmra@..." <cmra@...>
Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:33 PM
Subject: [CMRA] Ham radio demonstration for youth

Please mark your Calendars for Saturday Oct 15 Operating from 9:00am to 4:00pm. Set-up 8:00am .At Pine Ridge Recreation, Ashland,Missouri. 38.758903, -92.144393  Scouting Great Rivers Council , Boonslick Dist, Troop 68

  We are in need of several more Volunteers to help with everything from setting up the station & Antenna's to Talking to the young Scout's and explaining the different aspects of Amateur radio and helping them participate hands-on. If you can't come for the whole period, Even a couple of hours would really help & be appreciated, if you can't come by at all please participate by being on H.F or 2 meters so the kid's can make some easy contacts,

 Remember our goal, Lets all have fun and get these Kid's interested, Licensed,(paying CMRA club dues) And we all win. Plans are to have SSB, CW, Digital and VHF 2Meter & Maybe a Fox Hunt. Want to have the kid's each make a few contacts depending on conditions.

Our call sign for this event is KM0BSA

Please send me a PM to kc0yns@... or call me on 146.610 or phone 573-489-4827 to volunteer or if anyone has questions let me know...

Thank you, 73 Corey

Wes Sherman <b.sherman@...>

Corey, I didn't raise my hand last evening because I have some uncertainties in my schedule.  But I will help if I can.  I have a medical procedure next week that likely will not interfere.  Right now I have nothing that will be sure to prevent it, so let's stay in touch and see what I am able to do.  I'll probably know more in 10 days.  I think I'll put it on my calendar and assume I'll be doing it.  I'll follow your lead, of course.

73
wes
ab0se

Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:33 PM

[...]

Joe Casler <joe.casler@...>

Corey,

  My schedule is in flux right now, but if I am able I'll trot out for a bit to help out.

Joe  KC0WGB

[...]

Hillman, Richard E.

At this point, I think I can be there most of the time. Will confirm when I get back in town next weekend.
Richard. AC0MP

On Sep 14, 2011, at 8:33 PM, "COREY MESENBRINK" <kc0yns@...<mailto:kc0yns@...>> wrote:

[...]

Please send me a PM to <mailto:kc0yns@...> kc0yns@...<mailto:kc0yns@...> or call me on 146.610 or phone 573-489-4827 to volunteer or if anyone has questions let me know...

Thank you, 73 Corey

Henry Taylor <hank008@...>

Corey,

I'll be there, barring death, illness and rising creeks. If some disaster occurs I'll let you know. If you don't hear from me, you can count on me.

Hank KD0BVQ

At 08:33 PM 9/14/2011, you wrote:
[...]

Please send me a PM to <mailto:kc0yns@...>kc0yns@... or call me on 146.610 or phone 573-489-4827 to volunteer or if anyone has questions let me know...

Thank you, 73 Corey

Corey

Many thanks to the folks that have sent back a reply. Involvement from club members is what it's all about. We still need a few more people to help with the estimated 25 scout's we are expecting...

I'll do my best to keep everyone updated. Anyone having idea's that may be of interest to the group concerning this event please share them. Thanks again, 73 Corey

Corey

Greetings to the group:  The link below list the stations (Groups)  that have registered for the JOTA weekend which happens to coincide with our scouting event, This makes it a great opportunity to have other scouts on the air so that our scouts will have things in common to talk about. We will need to give them the confidence to make the connection and gently prod them to ask questions...

If you notice, They offer suggestions to the Bands and frequencies.

I'm working on the list of people and the equipment they offered to bring done very soon., Remember drinks & any snacks are on your own.  I'll be packing a cooler with a case of bottled water & will be glad to share.  Don Moore has offered to buy & be our chef for lunch on Saturday and the menu is rumored to be Hamburgers, & chips... Go Don........Also be sure to bring a chair or stool. My understanding is we only have one camp site which has (one) picnic table. I'll be bring on 6ft table, If anyone else has a folding time table they could bring please let me know. Dave (KV0S) is bringing along one pop-up shelter.

We still need a few more voluneers to help us with getting the station's set up & running, Also to be there and help motivate the kids into getting on the air....at this point we should have enough gear . Our clubs & the future of Amateur radio depends on us getting the younger kids involved with Amateur radio in any form... For those who have already signed up, A big Thank you!!

The Jamboree-on-the-Air, or JOTA, is an annual Scouting event that uses amateur radio to link Scouts around the world, around the nation, and in your own community. Held on the third full weekend of October each year, this worldwide jamboree requires no travel, other than to a nearby radio amateur’s ham shack. Many times the hams will come to you by setting up at a Scout camporee, or perhaps they already have a ham shack at your council’s camp. There are many ways to get your Scouts involved in JOTA.
Tell Me More
Scouts of any age can participate, from Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts and Venturers. Once at the ham radio station, the communication typically requires speaking into a microphone and listening on the station speakers. However, many forms of specialized communication can also take place, such as video communication, digital communication using typed words on the computer screen transmitted by radio, communication through a satellite relay or an earth-based relay (called a repeater), and many others. The exchanges include such information as name, location (called QTH in ham speak), Scout rank, age, and hobbies. The stations you’ll be communicating with can be other Scouts across town, across the country, or even around the world! The World Scout Bureau reported that the 2010 JOTA had just over 700,000 Scout participants from nearly 6,000 amateur radio stations! A participant patch is available, as is a certificate/log sheet that can also be used to fulfill a Radio merit badge requirement

Wes Sherman <b.sherman@...>

Hi Corey

Had my surgery today, and I think it went well.  I feel fine.

wes

Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:15 AM
Subject: Re: [CMRA] Ham radio demonstration for youth

[...]

Michael J. Hauan

Best wishes for a swift and complete recovery!

73!

Michael James Hauan
email:  mjh@...
home:  573-642-8150