Interesting DX contact

Fred Dittrich <fdittric@...>

Hi

I just made the following 30w PSK31 contact with my $100 home brew 47 ft inefficient TFTD antenna:

QSO_DATE 20111029
TIME_ON 2202
TIME_OFF 2210
CALL RA0CGY
NAME Yuri
COUNTRY Russia
FREQ 21.071579
GRID PN78nl
MILES 5733 (calculated via http://www.chris.org/cgi-bin/finddis)
MODE PSK31

If anyone is interested I'll be happy to post construction details to this listserv.

73

Fred KD0PAI

Henry Taylor <hank008@...>

If anyone is interested I'll be happy to post construction details to
this listserv.

Fred,

This has caused me to focus and crystallize what I've been talking around about and thinking unclearly about - here's the plan:

1) I do an "interview" of your antenna.

2) It seems promising for 80M - actually, step 3 should happen regardless of the outcome of step 2, but it would be encouraging and motivating

3) We build a 66 foot one as a prototype.. There's a website - not about building them, about selling them - that says we want 66 feet (or 90, but we don't want 90)

4) We find this one works great for 80M and all MARS bands

5) We get SEMA to buy one of the commercial ones at about $325 (small peanuts, for them) as part of their official deployment kit. They sell them as deployment kits, complete with travel bags.

6) Or, we underbid the website and sell them one - maybe this one (hi hi) How much do you have in $ in yours? If we want $25/hour for our time I doubt we could beat that price.

Now that I list all that, it becomes apparent we might as well get started on building a 66 footer. Watcha think?

Hank

Fred Dittrich <fdittric@...>

Hank

My total cost was ~$100. Since it is non-resonant I'm not sure what would be a good length for 80m -perhaps its current length? - but doing radio checks with it would answer that question, not using a calculator.

How about coming over tomorrow at 7PMish. You could schedule some SSB QSO's on various frequencies, ARS and MARS, and then we both could find out how this sucker performs? Talking about it won't discover a thing.

Fred KD0PAI