K0SI-10 not responding this morning

Fred Dittrich

Hi

It gave no response and said:

*** Starting to call K0SI-10
*** Opening serial port COM2; 9600 baud; Kantronics
*** Connecting to K0SI-10
*** Disconnected at 2021/04/23 12:07:48

*** Disconnect reported.

Bill McFarland - N0AXZ

Fred,
I see the TNC is hung and have asked Jim Lawler to reset it when he has the chance.
I couldn’t see why it happened this time but a W10 upgrade caused the other machines out there to require attention earlier this week.
Bill

On Fri, Apr 23, 2021 at 7:10 AM Fred Dittrich <fdittric@...> wrote:
Hi

It gave no response and said:

*** Starting to call K0SI-10
*** Opening serial port COM2; 9600 baud; Kantronics
*** Connecting to K0SI-10
*** Disconnected at 2021/04/23 12:07:48

*** Disconnect reported.

Bill

Fred Dittrich

Bill

Thanks for checking.

Those Win 10 updates are important to do, but since the PC does not resume the apps which were running they are a pain.

73

Fred

At 08:51 AM 4/23/2021, you wrote:
Fred,
I see the TNC is hung and have asked Jim Lawler to reset it when he has the chance.Â
I couldn’t see why it happened this time but a W10 upgrade caused the other machines out there to require attention earlier this week.Â

It gave no response and said:

*** Starting to call K0SI-10
*** Opening serial port COM2; 9600 baud; Kantronics
*** Connecting to K0SI-10
*** Disconnected at 2021/04/23 12:07:48

*** Disconnect reported.

Bill

Ryan Raney

Maybe someone has already tried this and there are technical reasons to why it can't be done, I'm not fully aware of the situation where k0si-10 resides, but you can set the applications to run at startup by dropping a shortcut to the program into C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

The appdata folder is by default a hidden folder but can be opened if you just type the location in file explorer.

If the pc does not automatically log in that can be fixed as well with the autologin application that you can get from microsoft sysinternals.

The only thing I can think of that could get in the way of this would be if the pc is on a domain that requires you to click "OK" to accept an acceptable use policy at login, this can be bypassed by editing group policy but may require the approval from the IT dept. I'm having issues with this part at work currently.

It gave no response and said:

*** Starting to call K0SI-10
*** Opening serial port COM2; 9600 baud; Kantronics
*** Connecting to K0SI-10
*** Disconnected at 2021/04/23 12:07:48

*** Disconnect reported.

Bill

Brad Wilmot

Easier way to get to the startup folder is to hit WIN-R to bring up the run dialog and type shell:startup

(I feel the pain of windows 10’s “updates” on the PCs used to stream to Radioreference and LiveATC… so many of them want to hold up the startup process to ask if I want to buy office or God only knows what else, and I have to remote in using Anydesk and clear that out to get the streams to start)

Brad Wilmot

Systems Administrator

University Place Apartments

W0VHA

It gave no response and said:

*** Starting to call K0SI-10

*** Opening serial port COM2; 9600 baud; Kantronics

*** Connecting to K0SI-10

*** Disconnected at 2021/04/23 12:07:48

*** Disconnect reported.

Bill

Ryan Raney

Yes, both ways will work. Use whichever steps are easier to explain to the end user performing them.