From: Larry Staples <lstaples@...>
Subject: [LarrysList] 146.52 simplex promotion
Date: November 7, 2011 8:25:29 AM CST
To: "Larry's List" <LarrysList@...>

The Interstate Highway Rest Area Society (IHRAS) is launching a grass roots effort to increase usage of simplex communications. The National Simplex Monitoring Team was created to promote the “Active Monitoring” of 146.520 simplex.

How many times have you driven down the road and seen another ham and wanted to have a short QSO? How many times have you put out your call on simplex on not received a response? How many times do you recall stories of the “good old days” when you could regularly make contacts on simplex?

Well let’s bring the good old days back. Please monitor 146.520 simplex while at home or mobile. For this effort to work we will also have to use 146.520 simplex. This means throwing out your call sign once in a while going down the road and for the rest of us it means not letting calls go unanswered.

The facts are that many of you use 6m FM and 10m FM simplex on a regular basis. While this effort is promoting 146.520 we encourage the use of any frequency or band you have access to.

A webpage has been set up to promote the monitoring team and other announcements/enhancements will be made in the coming days. Please help promote this effort by republishing this announcement in your club news letters, message boards, or email lists.

“At home - Away from home - In town - In the country” National Simplex Monitoring Team - 146.520

Brian Ward, K0MCM, Founding Member
<k0mcm@...>
Interstate Highway Rest Area Society

Bill McFarland <wmcfarland@...>

Mike, et. al.,

146.52 is very important on the road, and for us when we are not on the road. I have made more contacts on 52 while traveling over the country than on any repeaters thereabout. I even talked to the famed Bob Heil for about 25 minutes crossing Indiana together, he on his way to Dayton, and I on my way to Michigan, together on I70 for a while. Program in your APRS message “monitoring 52”, you never know who might be around Smile
bill

Sent: Monday, November 07, 2011 10:00 AM
Subject: [CMRA] Fwd: [LarrysList] 146.52 simplex promotion

Even though many of us monitor Larry's List, I thought this idea worth repeating in our listserver.  Seems very sensible!  Heretofore I have not had this frequency programmed into my radios nor have I monitored it.  Planning to correct that...

73

Michael James Hauan
email:  mjh@...
home:  573-642-8150